Leaving the comforts of home and going to overnight camp is a rite of passage for many kids, tweens and teens. And not only is it a milestone to be celebrated and achieved, but the experience also fosters some great psychological benefits for your child.
Here are five ways attending Muskoka Woods overnight summer camp will improve your child’s mental wellbeing:
- Coping skills. Yes, your child will learn how to navigate a ropes course or start a fire and other life skills, but more importantly, they’ll learn how to foster relationships with peers and camp counsellors alike. When your child is at summer camp and away from your guidance and support, they will adapt and learn how to ask for help when needed, take initiative on certain tasks and even take small risks without parental input.
- Resilience. While many kids might feel homesick and want to return to the comforts of Mom and Dad during their first few nights away at camp, they will learn to stick it out in their new environment and adapt to their new routines at camp. This is a skill that they will carry with them throughout their lives as it will help them transition to new situations, jobs and life circumstances.
- Independence. Without having their parents to tell them what to do or how to organize their belongings, guests at Muskoka Woods figure it out for themselves. This helps to build and support their independence and also leads to growth and maturity during their stay.
- Self-confidence. The activities available at Muskoka Woods are unparalleled. This means that your child will be able to try and choose from a gamut of activities that will challenge them both physically and mentally, from zip-lining and swimming to climbing a ropes course and paddle boarding. Pushing their limits in a safe environment shows them that they can achieve anything they put their minds to, which has a lasting effect long after the weeks of camps are over. In addition, meeting new people and making new friends is a great way to boost your child’s self-confidence. Being able to unplug and surround themselves with like-minded guests will foster friendships that can last a lifetime as they bond over shared experiences, often for the first time.
- Personal growth. When it comes to personal achievements, summer camp is an awesome place to foster wellness and growth while trying new activities. Not only does the experience foster self-confidence and self-esteem, but with the array of workshops available at Muskoka Woods, including digital photography, culinary arts and fashion design, guests are always challenging themselves. Summer camp also gives guests the opportunity to develop their fitness skills and set a goal during their time there. Whether it’s to climb the ropes course in record time or learn how to play guitar, there’s no shortage of experiences available to guests at Muskoka Woods to challenge themselves both physically and mentally.